Tekmos High Temperature Brochure
Whether You Need an ASIC, Mixed Signal, Processor, or Peripheral, Tekmos is Your Source for High Temperature Electronics
Using either a bulk silicon process or an SOI process, Tekmos can deliver high temperature solutions for your application.
- With the bulk silicon process working to 200ºC, and the SOI process working up to 300ºC, Tekmos can meet the needs of most high temperature applications.
- High temperature performance starts with the design. Tekmos uses simulation libraries that are adjusted for high temperature operation. This produces designs that meet requirements at the required temperatures.
- 100% production testing of packaged devices at the rated temperature. Die testing is limited to 150ºC because of probe machine limitations.
- Since bonding is critical for reliability, Tekmos provides a choice of either gold pad to gold wire bonding or aluminum pad to aluminum wire bonding. Tekmos also offers dual bond pads for improved bond reliability.
- Packaged parts are subjected to special bond pull tests and vibration testing to insure long term reliability in the most demanding environments.
TK80H51B High Temperature Microprocessor Family
The TK89H51B family, based on the 8051 architecture, is designed to work in high temperature environments up to 210ºC. There are three versions, defined by package size. The “A” version has full functionality while the lower pin count “B” and “C” versions containing a subset of the functions.
The “A” version of the TK89H51B provides a non-multiplexed address and data bus, the 8-bit ADC, three additional parallel ports, and the SPI port. The A version also supports ISP, allowing for the downloading of programs into an existing system using HEX records.
The TK89H51B family is made on a 0.6u bulk technology that has a history of proven experience.
The TK80H51B family contains seven 8 bit bidirectional parallel ports, two external interrupt sources, three timer/counters, a serial port with a hardware interrupt capability and a frame error detect flag, power management, a programmable counter array (PCA), an 8-bit, 8-chanel ADC, and a SPI port. These peripherals are supported by a multiple source, four level interrupt capability. The core processor contains 256 bytes of scratchpad RAM and another 768 bits of XRAM that can be used as program storage.
The TK89H51B family members differ by the package size. The TK89H51BA is in a 68 pin PGA package, and supports all functions. The TK89H51BB is in a 48 pin CDIP package. It includes the ADC, but with a multiplexed address bus. The TK89H51BC is in a 40 pin CDIP package. It follows the traditional 8051 footprint.
|TK89H51BA||2 KB||1 KB||68||7||Yes|
|TK89H51BB||2 KB||1 KB||48||5||Yes|
|TK89H51BC||2 KB||1 KB||40||4||No|
TK68HC811E2 200ºC Microcontroller 512 Bytes RAM, 2048 Bytes EEPROM
The TK68HC811E2 is a member of the 8-bit TK68HC11E family of MCUs (Microcontroller Units.) They all combine the TK68HC11 CPU (Central Processor Unit) with high-performance, on-chip peripherals.
The E series is comprised of several devices with various configurations of:
- Random-access memory (RAM)
- Read-only memory (ROM)
- Erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM)
- Electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM)
- Several low-voltage devices are also available.
The Tekmos TK68HC811E2 is available in a 200ºC version.
The TK68HC811E2 is a fully static design using a high-density complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (HCMOS) fabrication process that allows it to operate at frequencies from 2 MHz to dc, with very low power consumption.
- 200ºC Operation
- Enhanced screening for longer data retention
- 68HC11 Central Processing Unit (CPU)
- Power Saving STOP and WAIT Modes
- 512 Bytes of On-Chip RAM, Data Retained During Standby
- 2048 Bytes Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM (EEPROM)
- Asynchronous Non-Return to Zero (NRZ) Communications Interface (SCI)
- Synchronous Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)
- 8-Channel 8-Bit Analog-to-Digital (A/D) Converter
- 16-Bit Timer System
- 8-Bit Pulse Accumulator
- Real-Time Interrupt Circuit
- Computer Operating Properly (COP) Watchdog System
- 38 General-Purpose Input / Output (I/O) Pins
- 48-Pin Ceramic Dual In-Line Package (DIP)
- Pin-for-pin replacement of the Freescale MC68HC811E2
High Temperature Mixed Signal ASICs 200ºC to 300ºC
Most mixed signal ASICs have limited temperature ranges, which is mainly caused by increased junction leakage. The greater the leakage, the greater the circuit degradation.
Tekmos’ SOI technology greatly reduces the junction area. This allows excellent mixed signal performance up to 250°C, and operation up to 300ºC. And the SOI performance is in many ways superior to bulk silicon performance, as the SOI technology also eliminates most parasitic capacitances to the substrate.
Mixed Signal Design Flow
The down-hole environment requires instrumentation amplifiers, ADCs and DACs. We can do all of this.
A mixed signal design begins with the specifications. From there, we create a design, and simulate it to your specifications. Sometimes, we provide a breadboard of the proposed circuit so that the design can be verified in your system. In other cases, your previous design can serve as a proof of functionality. Often, we work on the digital part in parallel. When complete, we merge the analog and digital portions into a single chip.
Next is layout, followed by the post-route simulations. After a final design review, we tape out and generate your prototypes. Production occurs after prototype approval.
Mixed Signal Implementation
Tekmos uses an approach called structured arrays to implement our mixed signal designs. Structured arrays can let us start wafers before the design is complete, since it is only the later processing steps that implement your specific circuit. This approach reduces the overall cycle time by about 5 weeks.
Mixed signal devices typically require a revision in order to meet system requirements. With the structured array approach, a revision usually requires only two masks, further reducing cost and cycle time.
TK15530 High Temperature Manchester Encoder / Decoder
The Tekmos TK15530 is a high temperature, high performance CMOS device intended to service the requirements of MlL-STD-1553 and similar Manchester II encoded, time division multiplexed serial data protocols. The device is divided into two sections, an Encoder and a Decoder. These sections operate completely independently of each other, except for the Master Reset functions.
This circuit meets many of the requirements of MIL-STD-1553. The Encoder produces the sync pulse and the parity bit as well as the encoding of the data bits. The Decoder recognizes the sync pulse and identifies it as well as decoding the data bits and checking parity.
The TK15530 integrated circuit is fully guaranteed to support the 1MHz data rate of MlL-STD-1553 over both temperature (–55ºC to + 250ºC) and voltage. It interfaces with CMOS, TTL or N channel support circuitry, and uses a standard 5V supply. The TK15530 is designed for use in extreme temperature environments, such as down-hole in oil drilling and wireline applications. It can also be used in jet engine applications where it is necessary to interface directly to high temperature structures. The part uses a special high temperature process with tungsten interconnect to prevent metal migration and gold bond pads with gold bonding to improve bond reliability.
Based on the Tekmos high temperature library, the TK15530 works well with other Tekmos products such as our TK80H51 microcontroller. The TK15530 design may also be incorporated as an IP block inside of a Tekmos high temperature ASIC.
- 250ºC Operation
- True SOI process for high temperature operation
- Special bonding for high reliability
- Manchester II Encode / Decode
- 1.25 Megabit/sec Maximum Data Rate
- Sync Identification and Lock-in
- Clock Recovery
- Separate Encoder and Decoder Sections
- Monolithic – Single Chip – Construction
- Direct Replacement for existing 15530 Encoders / Decoders
- Obsolete Harris HD15530-9/ -2/8
- GEC Plessey Marconi MA15530 / MAS15530 parts
- Available in ceramic DIP, ceramic LCC, or probed die
- Low power consumption
- 5 volt operation
High Temperature ASICs 250ºC and 200ºC
Most ASICs are sold at an industrial temperature grade of 85ºC. Performance to the military limits of 125ºC is also available. But what about higher temperatures?
The ability to operate at higher temperatures is limited by design issues, packaging issues, reliability issues, and basic silicon properties. The standard bulk silicon technology can be extended up to 200ºC. The Tekmos SOI technology, with Tungsten interconnects, can be extended all the way to 250ºC.
Silicon transistors contain parasitic, reverse-biased diodes on all junctions. The diode leakage current increases with temperature, and eventually reaches a point where it prevents correct circuit operation. Diode leakage is the main factor in limiting our bulk silicon process technology from operating any higher than about 225ºC. The diode leakage currents also aggravate the metal migration reliability problem.
The Tekmos SOI process is based on an SOI (Silicon-On-Insulator) technology. In an SOI process, diode junctions are eliminated, except for the extremely small vertical interface between the diffusion and the transistor channel. In a typical case, the area of the diode junction is reduced by a factor of 15. This allows us to achieve 250ºC operation.
High current flow in aluminum interconnect can create voids that will eventually lead to opens. The rate of voiding is a function of temperature, and poses a serious reliability problem for high temperature operation. The Tekmos bulk silicon process makes use of an optional tungsten metallization process that minimizes the migration effect.
Circuit layout must compensate for the 4x increase in resistivity from aluminum to tungsten. The use of tungsten is key for achieving high reliability at 250ºC.
- Flexible pinout to match existing devices
- Supports multiple package types
- Easy engineering interface. We work from your existing files
- Automatic Test Program Generation (ATPG)
- Small or large production quantities supported
- Guaranteed to work – no risk
- Fast turnaround on most FPGA replacements
- Merged design technology
Automotive, Medical, Military, and Industrial
Tekmos supports new designs and legacy replacements with ASICs, Microprocessors, Memories, and Mixed Signal circuits.
Brochure: pdf High Temperature Brochure (2.24 MB)